Can this really happen? A giant flare of solar plasma hitting the ground here on Earth and nearly wiping out all life? It has happened before and can happen again. Listen in as Jon shares how it happened and what humanity did to survive these events more than once here on the good Earth!
Show Notes and Links
What is a solar flare?
Touching on the 1859 Carrington Event:
“When the 1859 Carrington Event — the largest geomagnetic storm on record — struck the planet, the global telegraph system acted as an antenna. Telegraph stations across the world caught fire, technicians were electrocuted, and widespread communications outages ensued. (A fascinating new research paper, available in pre-print on arXiv, describes what this event was like).”
“On Thursday, September 1, 1859, the British astronomer Richard Carrington, for the first time ever, observes a spectacular gleam of visible light on the surface of the solar disk, the photosphere. The Carrington Event, as it is nowadays known by scientists, occurred because of the high solar activity that had visible consequences on Earth, in particular reports of outstanding aurorae activity that amazed thousands of people in the western hemisphere during the dawn of September 2. The geomagnetic storm, generated by the solar-terrestrial event, had such a magnitude that the auroral oval expanded towards the equator, allowing low latitudes, like Panama’s 9∘ N, to catch a sight of the aurorae.”
Full paper of what the flare was like in the nation of Columbia
Quoting from the paper: “But, not only the environment was disturbed; the telegraphic lines ofseveral countries were affected, leaving them inoperative for several hours:The French telegraph communications at Paris were greatly affected, and oninterrupting the circuit of conducting wire strong sparks were observed···[The Illustrated London News, September 24, 1859].In some cases, the consequences of the storm allowed the communicationbetween locations far away, like Boston and Portland, which was the firstregistration ever of a message transmitted due to the energy supplied by en-ergetic phenomenon (Green & Boardsen, 2005):The wire was then workedfor about two hours without the usual batteries, on the auroral current, work-ing better than with the batteries connected. The current varied, increasingand decreasing alternately, but by graduating the adjustment to the current, asufficiently steady effect was obtained to work the line very well···[The DailyChronicle and Sentinel, Augusta, Georgia, Thursday, September 8, 1859].”
Historical Solar Flares since Carrington Event (Wikipedia)
The most powerful flare ever observed was the first one to be observed, on September 1, 1859, and was reported by British astronomer Richard Carrington and independently by an observer named Richard Hodgson. The event is named the Solar storm of 1859, or the “Carrington event”. The flare was visible to a naked eye (in white light), and produced stunning auroras down to tropical latitudes such as Cuba or Hawaii, and set telegraph systems on fire. The flare left a trace in Greenland ice in the form of nitrates and beryllium-10, which allow its strength to be measured today. Cliver and Svalgaard reconstructed the effects of this flare and compared with other events of the last 150 years. In their words: “While the 1859 event has close rivals or superiors in each of the above categories of space weather activity, it is the only documented event of the last 150 years that appears at or near the top of all of the lists.” The intensity of the flare has been estimated to be around X50.
The ultra-fast coronal mass ejection of August 1972 is suspected of triggering magnetic fuses on naval mines during the Vietnam War, and would have been a life-threatening event to Apollo astronauts if it had occurred during a mission to the Moon.
In modern times, the largest solar flare measured with instruments occurred on November 4, 2003. This event saturated the GOES detectors, and because of this its classification is only approximate. Initially, extrapolating the GOES curve, it was estimated to be X28. Later analysis of the ionospheric effects suggested increasing this estimate to X45. This event produced the first clear evidence of a new spectral component above 100 GHz.
Other large solar flares also occurred on April 2, 2001 (X20), October 28, 2003 (X17.2 and 10), September 7, 2005 (X17), February 17, 2011 (X2), August 9, 2011 (X6.9), March 7, 2012 (X5.4), July 6, 2012 (X1.1). On July 6, 2012, a solar storm hit just after midnight UK time, when an X1.1 solar flare fired out of the AR1515 sunspot. Another X1.4 solar flare from AR 1520 region of the Sun, second in the week, reached the Earth on July 15, 2012 with a geomagnetic storm of G1–G2 level. A X1.8-class flare was recorded on October 24, 2012. There has been major solar flare activity in early 2013, notably within a 48-hour period starting on May 12, 2013, a total of four X-class solar flares were emitted ranging from an X1.2 and upwards of an X3.2, the latter of which was one of the largest year 2013 flares. Departing sunspot complex AR2035-AR2046 erupted on April 25, 2014 at 0032 UT, producing a strong X1.3-class solar flare and an HF communications blackout on the day-side of Earth. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded a flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation from the explosion. The Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded an X9.3-class flare at around 1200 UTC on September 6, 2017.
On July 23, 2012, a massive, potentially damaging,[vague] solar storm (solar flare, coronal mass ejection and electromagnetic radiation) barely missed Earth. In 2014, Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in which he attempted to calculate the odds of a similar solar storm hitting Earth within the next 10 years, by extrapolating records of past solar storms from the 1960s to the present day. He concluded that there may be as much as a 12% chance of such an event occurring.
NASA – Picking up the pieces:
July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.
Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn’t mention it. The “impactor” was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.
“If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces,” says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.
National Science Foundation Report (audio) and article
Is this a rare phenomena (Solar Flares)?
Ending of civilizations as a cycle – NASA Study:
“If we look back in history, 3000 – 5000 years, we will find a historical record that clearly shows us how advanced and complex civilizations were just as susceptible to collapse as we are today. This ongoing pattern has led researchers to question the future existence of society and civilization as we know.
If we were to look back further back in time, over 10,000 years, we would encounter evidence of advanced civilizations that possibly predate the Pre-Inca, Olmec, and Ancient Egyptian civilization, not to mention other advanced ancient civilizations in ancient Mesopotamia.
It is difficult to overlook the repeating patterns identified by scholars in most of these civilizations and the NASA funded study is clear evidence of the path ancient civilizations on EArth have taken for thousands of years. This is considered by many people as a sign that clearly states that ancient civilizations have reset a number of times.
These factors have kept on repeating themselves and have been the culprit for ancient civilizations before us. In the report, applied mathematician Safa Motesharri and his “Human and Nature Dynamical” model claims that “the process of rise-and-collapse is actually a recurrent cycle found throughout history.”
== Use Solar Storm graphic while reading this: ==
Ancient Solar Storm Backs Theory of Lost Civilization’s Cataclysm – 3 min read By Gaia Staff | December 2, 2019 |
Scientists studying ice core samples in Greenland found evidence of a massive solar storm stronger than any recorded in modern history, including the devastating coronal mass ejection (CME) of 1859 known as the Carrington Event.
The discovery implies that these types of severe solar events occur more frequently than previously believed and may support Dr. Robert Schoch’s theory of a solar-induced extinction event that wiped out several advanced, ancient civilizations.
Researchers have made some fascinating breakthroughs studying Greenland’s ice sheet lately, including the discovery of two massive, 12,000-year-old asteroid impact craters, which researchers like Graham Hancock point to as the catalyst for the Younger Dryas period – an anachronistic ice age caused by dust and sediment thrown into the atmosphere, which blocked out the sun.
Schoch says he believes the Younger Dryas suddenly ended when a massive solar storm, such as a CME, scorched the planet and led to the rapid melting of ice, causing global flooding and an inhospitable climate– what Schoch has dubbed a Solar-Induced Dark Age, or SIDA. The intense heat and plasma outbursts from the sun caused further extinction of civilizations that survived the ice age, while forcing remaining survivors to retreat below ground.
Schoch says one sees evidence of this in some of the oldest ruins on Earth, including the megalithic statues at Göbekli Tepe and Easter Island, which were not only buried below ground, but also show carvings that Schoch says he believes depict the solar phenomena these ancient people witnessed in the atmosphere.
Underground caves and shelters in the Cappadocia region of Anatolia, Turkey is further evidence for Schoch’s theory, which he says may be the key to our discovery of evidence for famously elusive, antediluvian civilizations such as Atlantis. According to Schoch, low-lying, thick stoned shelters with narrow entries, much like fall-out shelters or bunkers, have been found in these areas further supporting the idea that these people attempted to protect themselves from some aerial catastrophe.
This latest study appears to lend credence to Schoch’s theory, as radioactive atoms beryillium-10, chlorine-36, and carbon-14 caused by extensive radiation from solar protons were discovered in ice core samples, suggesting these types of solar storms happened way more often than once thought, and with much greater intensity.
Both Schoch’s and Hancock’s theories have been labeled “heretical” and “pseudoscientific,” but with more corroborating evidence such as this, their cases continue to strengthen. Meanwhile, the stalwarts of archeology continue to disregard mounting evidence that traditional narratives we’ve long been fed seem to be flawed.
And with this growing body of evidence showing human history may have a significantly older timeline, it’s hard to ignore Hancock’s assertion that when it comes to our own history, we may be “a species with amnesia.”
Other underground ruins that may date back to when these events took place:
The Longyou Caves (Chinese: 龙游石窟), also called the Xiaonanhai Stone Chambers (Chinese: 小南海石室), are a group of 24 artificial sandstone caverns located at Fenghuang Hill, near the village of Shiyan Beicun on the Qu River in Longyou County, Quzhou prefecture, Zhejiang province, China. Created more than 2,000 years ago, they were not recorded in any historical documents and were rediscovered by farmers in 1992.
In June 1992, four farmers in Longyou discovered the caves by accident when they drained the water of five small ponds in their village. The ponds turned out to be five large manmade caverns. Further investigation revealed 19 more caverns nearby. They have been determined to be more than 2000 years old, and their construction is not recorded in any historical documents.
About 200km to the Northwest, the Huashan Grottoes at the riverbanks of the Xin’an River somewhat resemble the Longyou Caves, but have likely been built more than 1500 years later during the late Ming Dynasty (1552–1667 AD).
Gobekli Tepe – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe
Göbekli Tepe (Turkish: [gœbecˈli teˈpe], “Potbelly Hill”; known as Girê Mirazan or Xirabreşkê in Kurdish) is a Neolithic archaeological site near the city of Şanlıurfa in Southeastern Anatolia, Turkey.
The tell or artificial mound has a height of 15 m (50 ft) and is about 300 m (1,000 ft) in diameter, approximately 760 m (2,500 ft) above sea level. It includes two phases of use, believed to be of a social or ritual nature by site discoverer and excavator Klaus Schmidt. Its oldest layer dates to the very beginning of the Neolithic, the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A (PPNA), or roughly the 10th to 9th millennia BCE. The younger phase belongs to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B, or the 9th to 8th millennia BCE.
Still during the early phase, in the 10th millennium BCE, circles of massive T-shaped stone pillars were erected, classified as the oldest known megaliths, some 3,000 years older than the earliest cities of Mesopotamia.
More than 200 pillars in about 20 circles are known (as of May 2020) through geophysical surveys. Each pillar has a height of up to 6 m (20 ft) and weighs up to 10 tons. They are fitted into sockets that were hewn out of the local bedrock. In the second phase, belonging to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB), the erected pillars are smaller and stood in rectangular rooms with floors of polished lime. The site was abandoned after the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB). Younger structures date to classical times.
The excavations have been ongoing since 1996 by the German Archaeological Institute, but large parts still remain unexcavated. In 2018, the site was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Vulture Stone at Gobekli Tepe – A monument to a cosmic disaster.
The Vulture Stone at Gobekli Tepe – A monument to a cosmic disaster.
“Why is the Younger Dryas seen as such a crucial period in the growth of civilisations? Before the comet struck Earths, large areas of the Middle East was covered by wild wheat and barley and this allowed nomadic hunters in the region to establish permanent base camps. When the comet struck however, things became much harder for these communities who were only ever a bad harvest or natural disaster away from being wiped out.
The difficult climate conditions following the impact forced communities to come together and work out new ways of maintaining the crops, through watering and selective breeding. Thus farming began, allowing the rise of the first towns.
The new research suggests that the people of Gobekli Tepe recognised this terrible planetary disaster was in some way the beginnings of a new and more advanced way of living as we today might remember anniversaries of independence or wars against tyranny. Alternatively, it might be a monument to one of the hardest periods that humanity ever had to face and that for millennia the peoples in Turkey remembered it like we might remember The Black Death or the terrible fatalities of the World Wars.
Dr Martin Sweatman, who was one of the leading figures in the investigation states:
“Our work serves to reinforce that physical evidence. What is happening here is the process of paradigm change. It appears Göbekli Tepe was, among other things, an observatory for monitoring the night sky. One of its pillars seems to have served as a memorial to this devastating event – probably the worst day in history since the end of the ice age.
Gobekli Tepe, is thought to be the world’s oldest temple site, which dates from around 9,000BC, predating Stonehenge by millennia.”
Image of the Vulture Stone with astrological carvings to help date the time of the comet impact – From same article as above
Image from Wikiepedia with stone still partially buried:
Other Underground Shelters? Were they to survive ancient cosmic catastrophes?
Returning to Present Day;
1. Mysterious Enormous Underground Labyrinth Of Egypt – 3000 chambers – huge in scale. Was found but information suppressed by Egyptian government. Supposedly contains ancient knowledge of all of Egypt at the time and may be in direct contridiction to accepted theories of Egypt hence the suppression.
2. Shin-Au-Av: Secret Ancient Underground City Hidden Beneath Death Valley – 11 Mysterious Ancient Underground Worlds That Remain Unsolved To This Day
AncientPages.com | May 25, 2015 | Featured Stories, News, Places, Top Lists, Underground Worlds
Share via FacebookShare via TwitterShare via PinterestShare via RedditShare via Email
AncientPages.com – Join us on a journey to ancient marvelous underground realms and visit the most incredible subterranean worlds.
Ancient myths and legends tell of several mysterious underground cities filled with secret chambers, passages shrines and tombs.
Many of these remarkable underground worlds remain shrouded in mystery because we have not been able to locate them yet. There are also fascinating very old underground tunnels, caves and cities that have been discovered, but the history behind them remains unsolved because we have no idea who built them and for what purposes.
In this article, AncientPages.com has put together a list of 11 most mysterious underground ancient worlds that remain unsolved to this day. Some of them are real. Some haven’t been found yet and perhaps some are never meant to be located…
1. Mysterious Enormous Underground Labyrinth Of Egypt
The lost labyrinth, full of hieroglyphs sculpted for eternity in its endless stone walls is believed to contain all knowledge of ancient Egypt.
What secrets does this legendary giant underground complex contain?
Could this be the most important discovery in human history?
The Labyrinth of Egypt has been described by a number of ancient writers such as Herodotus, Strabo, Diodorus, and Pliny. This legendary complex, named the “Labyrinth” by the ancient Greeks was legendary complex is believed to be an enormous collective tomb of the twelve kings who built it and a resting place for sacred crocodiles
A research team was able to prove that the Labyrinth exists, but this amazing discovery was never heard of because the Egyptian government opposed the outside world should learn about the findings. Read more
2. Shin-Au-Av: Secret Ancient Underground City Hidden Beneath Death Valley
The idea that there could be a secret 5,000-years-old underground city hidden somewhere beneath Death Valley, California is fascinating. According to those who entered the subterranean tunnels and visited this marvelous place the city was once inhabited by an unknown race. Now, thousands of years later the place had been abandoned, but the visitors saw strange mummies and curious old artifacts.
3. Lost Underground City Of The Grand Canyon – An Archeological Cover-Up? – Ever since an intriguing article reporting the discovery of a great underground citadel of the Grand Canyon appeared in the Arizona Gazette in 1909, scientists have debated whether the story is true or a hoax. Several alternative history authors and researchers, among them David Hatcher Childress believe the discovery did occur and this is yet another archaeological cover-up.
4. Highly Sophisticated Underground City Of Derinkuyu – Who Were The Master Builders? – In 1963, approximately 50 miles (30 km) south of Nevsehir, Cappadocia, Turkey, Omer Demir stumbled across a deep hole (in Turkish: derinkuyu) that led to a steep path leading deeper down to passages, niches amd shafts dug into the bedrock. After intensive excavation, it became clear that Derinkuyu was an entire city complex built in that hole beneath the surface. The community had a most sophisticated infrastructure and the accommodation built there was obviously meant for long periods of time. What kind of tools did the builders use? If we assume that the entire complex was built using tools that exceeded the capabilities of the Turks of the period, so who were the builders of the underground city of Derinkuyu?
5. Ancient Lost City Found Beneath Missouri: Yet Another Archaeological Cover-Up? – It is a remarkable discovery! This ancient lost city could be several millions of years old! Did giants inhabit the nameless and forgotten city discovered beneath Missouri? What happened to the very large human bones that were unearthed? Are we facing yet another archaeological cover-up? On April, 1885 a very interesting article appeared in The New York Times. Readers were informed that Mr. David Coates, the Recorder of the City of Moberly, and Mr. George Keating, City Marshal discovered an ancient wonderful lost city beneath Missouri. The city was found at the bottom of a coal shaft 360 feet deep, which was being sunk near Moberly in Randolph County, Missouri
6. Something Ancient And Unknown Is Hidden Inside A Huge Underground Structure In Japan: Mystery Of Mt. Tsurugi Deepens – While excavating at the mountain, scientists came across something ancient and unusual hidden deep inside an underground structure. Soon, all excavations were stopped. Is an ancient unknown civilization or a priceless prehistoric treasure buried beneath Mt. Tsurugi? Mt. Tsurugi, also known under the local name “Ken-zan”, is regarded as a sacred place. In 1936, Takane and a group of archaeologists started to excavate at Mt. Tsurugi. The project continued for three years. During a period of three years, they dug up and found several stone artifacts, paving stones, a brick arch, and evidence of tunnels. The discoveries helped lend credibility to Takane’s theory that ancient people modified the peak of Mt. Tsurugi in order to hide something significant.
7. Secret Ancient World Buried Under The Vast Taklamakan Desert – Ancient people believed that once you entered this place there was no way out. A very long time ago, there were houses and temples here. Today, everything is buried under the sand. Precious ancient relics are hidden deep under the “Sea of Death”, or the Taklamakan desert. Archaeologists are beginning to discover some of the secrets that have been hidden in this mysterious region. Still, it seems that we are only scratching the surface and only time will tell what more wonders are waiting to be unraveled. The Taklamakan desert is the largest desert in China and it is also considered to be the world’s second largest shifting-sand desert covering an area of over 33, 700 square kilometers (over 13,000 square miles). In Uigur language, Takla Makan means ‘you can get into it but can never get out’ and that is why the desert is also called ‘the Sea of Death’.
8. Hyperborea Or Atlantis Ruins: Underground Secrets Of The Sacred Lake On The Arctic Circle – Some researchers believe that the ruins of an ancient observatory and mysterious rock inscriptions in Russia’s Northwest are vestiges of the ancient Hyperborea civilization, a sacred land similar to Shambhala or Atlantis. Lake Seydozero – “the sacred lake” in the language of the indigenous Sami people – is one of the most mystical places in Russia’s Northwest and the Kola Peninsula. It is protected by Kuiva the Giant, “old man, giant, wizard” – a gigantic figure impressed on a rock. The figure is visible as a 100-meter silhouette on the cliff of the mountain Kuivchorr.
9. Sioux Indians’ Story Of An Underground Kingdom And White Horse Encounter With Unknown Subterranean Beings
There is a strange story among Sioux Indians about an old man of their tribe whose name was the White Horse. One day, while participating in bison hunting in areas of today’s California, the White Horse found an unusual opening in the rock. He followed this opening and suddenly he found himself in a long tunnel-like passage. He slowly continued to move through the tunnel until he noticed very weak, greenish light in the depths of the passage. Still walking through the tunnel, the White Horse encountered two strangers; a white skin man and a woman with golden-blond hair, both sitting in the middle of a large hall
The Carrington Event was a powerful geomagnetic storm on September 1–2, 1859, during solar cycle 10 (1855–1867). A solar coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth’s magnetosphere and induced the largest geomagnetic storm on record. The associated “white light flare” in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by British astronomers Richard Carrington and Richard Hodgson. The storm caused strong auroral displays and wrought havoc with telegraph systems. The now-standard unique IAU identifier for this flare is SOL1859-09-01.
A solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would cause widespread electrical disruptions, blackouts, and damage due to extended outages of the electrical grid. The solar storm of 2012 was of similar magnitude, but it passed Earth’s orbit without striking the planet, missing by nine days.
What if the Carrington Event happened today?:
Key takeaway from this article: “Even now, the center’s Bogdan said, the most damaging emissions from big storms travel slowly enough to be detected by sun-watching satellites well before the particles strike Earth. “That gives us [about] 20 hours to determine what actions we need to take,” Viereck said.
In a pinch, power companies could protect valuable transformers by taking them offline before the storm strikes. That would produce local blackouts, but they wouldn’t last for long.
“The good news is that these storms tend to pass after a couple of hours,” Bogdan added.”
Most stars too hazardous for life:
Preparing for a Solar Cataclysm:
Secondary Cataclysms that might arrive as a result of increased solar activity.
Comet Cataclysm – 12,800 years ago
Daily Mail – Gotepe Comet Swarm carvings
Mars impact craters – Potentially Solar lightning bolts!
Show NASA “Scar on Mars” Valles Marineris – Dispute lightning bolt theory – NASA explanation
Mars electric arc site.
NASA – Lightning across the solar system